* Increased range of movement and resting length of muscle tissue. Overall tone and coordination.
* Improved balance
* Abatement of tension and pain.
* Increased lightness in the body-mind, a feeling of wellbeing and an open attitude to life.
* Improved ease of the breathing mechanism.
* Expanded awareness of the environment and how one moves in it, responding with increased choice to the many stimuli we are faced with constantly.
* Increased familiarity with triggers in oneself that bring an unwanted reaction to something or someone.
* Improved ability to withhold a reaction, to give oneself the time to control one's habitual reaction, to make a choice to respond by the continued practice of the principles.
* Lengthened spine and widened back, healing spinal patterns that affect the whole body pattern.
* Develop skills to take away and use everyday in any activity.
* Develop skills of self-care and awareness that put YOU back in the drivers seat.
" With Cate McNider's Alexander Technique at The Listening Body®, I'm consistently seeing ground breaking shifts in my mental and physical habits. Cate's extensive body and energy work combined with her acting and dancing experience, make Alexander Technique a natural fit. The work is subtle, in this actor's opinion. It's a leap of faith to do Alexander Technique, just as it is a leap of faith to start work on a new scene or show up for the 100th performance of a play you're doing or anything new in life.
Cate helped me relax and stay present for a recent short film I was cast in. My usual habit of critical voices and physical tension was gone. I was free from moment to moment and fully connected to the work. Cate taught me the 'Lie Down', 'Whispered Ah's', combined with Meditation, Yoga, and other techniques that I use daily and make part of my acting preparation. These may seem like little things, but they aren't.
My sessions with Cate are cultivating awareness of my habits, developing tools to release the habits and making significant changes in my life and work as an actor."
~ Actress Ellen Toomey, NYC
In the process of the lessons, you see how your physical habits and pains are tied to your thinking and visa-versa. We re-map the body to the mind, so your kinesthesia is renewed to this present moment, now, letting go of old pains and outdated thoughts and perceptions. The result is an ever increasing easeful and erect posture and open mind.
A whole new world opens up to you!